As part of its independent trade policy post Brexit, the UK has agreed several Free Trade Agreements with forward looking digital trade provisions. These have been welcomed by the sector as they lock in best practice and offer firms business certainty when engaging in cross border trade.
This conference discussed how the UK can push forward along this trajectory, using all the trade policy tools at its disposal to cement its position at the heart of the global digital economy.
Discussions also included:
You can watch interviews with Sam Lowe, Sabina Ciofu, Sally Jones, Vivienne Artz, and Dan Price on our You Tube channel here.
‘The Practical Implications of Digital FTA Provisions on the UK Financial Services Sector’.
The conference saw the launch of ‘The Practical Implications of Digital FTA Provisions on the UK Financial Services Sector’, published by the City of London Corporation in collaboration with Flint Global,
The report seeks to outline how the UK financial and professional services (FPS) sector benefits from free trade agreements (FTAs). It also makes a series of recommendations for how UK Government can develop a more holistic approach to trade policy broadening the scope beyond FTAs into areas of regulatory diplomacy.
Watch Sam Lowe from Flint Global giving his keynote speech introducing the report below.
Download the report.
City of London Deputy Chair of Policy Keith Bottomley
Digital ecosystem, discussing the current state of play
- Dan Price. Managing Director, Rock Creek Global Advisers
- Zertasha Malik, Head of International Policy & Strategy Division, Bank of England
How to advance digital trade
Chair: Sam Lowe. Partner, Flint Global
- Kate Platonova. Group Chief Data and Analytics Officer, HSBC
- Sherry Madera. Senior Vice President Public Policy, Government Affairs, Mastercard
- Debbie Lawrence. Group Head of Data Management and Strategy, LSEG
- Nicola Watkinson. Managing Director, International Trade and Investment, TheCityUK
Digital trade, the regulatory perspective
Chair: Damian Nussbaum. Executive Director, City of London Corporation
- Richard Waite. Head of International, Financial Conduct Authority
- Johannes Fritz, St.Gallen Endowment for Prosperity through Trade
Charlotte Crosswell OBE, Open Banking
What does the future of digital trade look like for the FPS sector?
Chair: Sally Jones, EY
- Vivienne Artz. Chair, International Regulatory Strategy Group Data Committee
- Sabina Ciofu. Associate Director, TechUK
- Graham Floater. UK Chief Negotiator and Chair of the G7 Digital Trade Group, Department for International Trade
- Martin McElwee. Partner, Freshfields